My mom went apple picking with some friends a few weeks ago so we had a bunch of apples.
I love apples and I eat one most days. But I wanted to use some of the apples in different ways.
I tried doing some baked apples with a cheesecake filling. Those didn’t come out real good. I think I should’ve baked it a little longer. The filling itself was good but the apple shell didn’t do much for this dish. The recipe I saw said to put it in the fridge to chill then take out and eat at room temp. It might have been better eaten when it was still hot. I might give this dish another try later on.
Since the baked apples didn’t turn out so well but the cheesecake filling was good, I decided to change it up and do a very simple no-bake apple cheesecake “parfait”.
This cheesecake filling is my go-to for no-bake cheesecakes. It’s just cream cheese, sugar, whipped cream, and vanilla mixed together.
1. Eight ounce room temp cream cheese
2. Half a cup of granulated sugar
3. Three-quarters cup of whipped cream
4. A teaspoon of vanilla extract
Just mixed together and cooled in fridge for at least two hours (or overnight for desired firmness).
The apples are prepared simply too.
Sauteed brown sugar apples:
1. One tablespoon unsalted butter
2. One apple cut into small chunks
3. A quarter cup of brown sugar
4. Half a teaspoon of ground cinnaon
Combine the apple, sugar and cinnamon. Melt the butter in pan and cook the apples on medium high heat for 5 – 10 mins until the mixture has thickened or depending on how cooked you want the apples to be.
- A bottom layer of cheesecake filling
- Crushed graham crackers (if you really want more of a ‘pie crust’ you can mix the graham crackers with butter)
- The sauteed apples with brown sugar
- A second layer of cheesecake filling
- More crushed graham crackers
- Whipped cream (if you want to kick it up a notch, you can do a cinnamon whipped cream or just sprinkle cinnamon on top)
- Top with some more of the cooked apples and sprinkling of graham crackers
- Drizzle with maple syrup and garnish with a whole graham cracker
There you go, easy peasy!
I did this mini one as a small intermission snack when I went to watch Vietgone. My neighbors were sadden to learn that this wasn’t bought at the concession (sorry, this ain’t Waitress even though I’m using their mini pie jar).
What kind of apple treats have you guys been making lately? Please let me know in the comments.
Enjoy the mew life,